September 11, 2014
Theme of the week: Vassar Housing.
Clue of the week: 29H—Backyard activity? (WEED)
Word of the week: BRUNEI (49V—Country completely on Borneo)
Things we liked:
1. 40H—Milk and Meat, on campus (abbr.) (THS) Qt.
2. 8V—F, C or K (DEG) Oh that misdirect! It also looks like ‘FUCK’.
3. 10V—When doubled, in the butt? (WHAT) They’re hip! No fuddy-duddies here!
4. 36V—Stop sucking? (WEAN) Babies suck.
5. 43V—Nice on? (SUR) Oh, that misdirect! So French.
1. 21H—Network of blood vessels and nerves (RETE) How is this even a word I don’t know.
2. 71H—Dorm closest to 45-Across (MAIN) Not true! The dorm closest to Strong is Lathrop! Fucking freshmen.
3. 7V—Hit, as by God (SMIT) This word is “smote” right? Like come on.
4. 40V—Accolade ceremony for the young (abbr.) (TCA) Uninspired and sort of needlessly difficult.
5. 45V—FX motorcycle show (abbr.) (SOA) Do people call this this?
Obvious abbreviation alert:
None! You guys rock!
We miss Mullan, but these two new guys [?] seem fun, maybe. Not a lot of construction complexity we usually see from Mullan, and very few long words, but a nice theme to welcome our freshmen, even if they don’t know what dorm is closest to Strong. The references to other Vassar non-dorms (AFC, OLB) were a nice addition. We appreciated the multiple Harry Potter clues. Looking forward to seeing more from Chen and Knopp-Schwyn.
-HB and TS (PD was out this week, playin’ with a dog and drinking milk and whatnot)
P.S nice 2 b bak